Charlotte Golf Cart Accident Attorneys
Skilled legal help when you’re injured by a golf cart in North Carolina
Although these vehicles are named “golf” carts, you no longer see them just on the golf course. Here in North Carolina, you can hop in a golf course to play your 18 holes, cruise around a vacation park or resort, or – in many communities, like Bald Head Island and Compass Pointe – ride all around the neighborhood. Their relatively slower speeds and ease of use make golf carts attractive to people of all ages. However, many drastically underestimate the risks and dangers of these motorized vehicles.
The Charlotte personal injury attorneys at Price, Petho & Associates, PLLC are here to help when you or a loved one are injured in an accident with a golf cart, whether on public or private property. We understand the inherent risks of these vehicles and how accidents occur due to driver, manufacturer, or property negligence. Talk to us today to find out if you’re eligible for financial compensation for your injuries and losses.
What would you like to know?
- How do Charlotte golf cart accidents happen?
- Which local courses and gated communities allow golf carts?
- What kinds of injuries result from golf cart accidents?
- Who is responsible for my Charlotte golf cart accident and injuries?
- What is my golf cart accident case worth?
- Is there a golf cart accident attorney near me?
Golf carts can be used for a variety of purposes – playing golf, for security patrolling, or riding around the neighborhood. They can be a fun and convenient way to travel, but golf carts also have little to no safety features and few traffic rules to follow. Golf cart accidents typically occur through three ways:
- Driver negligence. Often, a golf cart accident happens because the driver doesn’t know how to operate the cart, or drives it in a reckless manner. Drivers may attempt to push the golf cart beyond capacity, take a curve too quickly, or operate it while intoxicated.
- Unsafe road surfaces. Golf cart accidents are common when a road surface is improperly maintained. The same things that can cause us to trip and fall, or our bikes to lose control, can do the same to a golf cart. Towns and municipalities must maintain and repair things like potholes, debris, and crumbling curbs.
- Product defects. In some cases, the golf cart itself can be defective. Whether it was manufactured poorly or a part malfunctions, a defective golf cart can go out of control and cause a serious accident.
Driver or passenger negligence that can lead to catastrophic accidents and injury include actions like:
- Hanging hands and legs outside the golf cart
- Driving over muddy, uneven, or wet terrain
- Driving the cart under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failing to put on the brake when exiting the cart
- Overcrowding the cart
- Allowing passengers to stand in the cart
- Racing golf carts or other reckless behavior
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe speeds and sharp turns
The Charlotte golf cart accident attorneys at Price Petho & Associates work to determine how your injuries happened, and who or what was responsible.
North Carolina is known for its lush golf courses; we have some of the best in the country. As more people move to the Tar Heel State for their twilight years, more communities have welcomed the use of golf carts as a primary mode of transportation. The problem, however, is that many people – visitors and residents alike – have little to no experience using a golf cart, and that can lead to serious injuries.
At Price, Petho & Associates, we represent residents and travelers who have sustained injuries on courses like:
- Verdict Ridge Country Club
- Eagle Chase Golf Club
- Rocky River Golf Club
- Carolina Lakes Golf Club
- Warrior Golf Club
- Skybrook Golf Club
- Springfield Golf Club
- Cleghorn Golf & Sports Club
- Meadowbrook Golf Club
- Forest City Golf Course
- Dogwood Valley Golf Course
- Apple Valley Golf Course
- Bald Mountain Golf Course
- Chesnee Country Club
No matter where you were hurt – on the back nine of any course in the state, vacationing on Sunset Beach, or living in communities like Occano or Oak Island Estates – our injury lawyers want to help. We have years of experience handling representing people with golf cart injuries.
Because golf carts have no closed frame like a car, and do not require seat belt use, in the event of an accident, passengers can be thrown from the cart, causing serious injuries.
A 2020 article in the Journal of Safety Research reports that, “Despite the high rate of injuries, there have been no meaningful changes in golf cart design or legislation to reduce the overall burden of these injuries.” Researchers found that in the 10-year period between 2007 and 2017, approximately 156,000 Americans sought treatment in emergency rooms for golf cart-related injuries.
They note that children in particular suffer traumatic brain injuries at three times the rate of adults in golf cart accidents. Other injuries common to these types of accidents include:
- Bone breaks and fracture
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Wrongful death
Dr. Brandon Miller of the Harbin Clinic in Georgia compares golf cart accidents to ATV accidents, saying, “People know ATVs can be dangerous, but what’s unique about golf carts is that they usually involve people from affluent neighborhoods and well-intentioned parents who have no idea how dangerous they can be.”
Proving responsibility and liability in a golf cart accident is similar to that of a car accident – showing negligence on the part of the at-fault individual or entity. These parties can include:
- The operator of the golf cart
- The owner of the golf cart
- The manufacturer of the golf cart
- Motor vehicle drivers, if they collide with your cart
- Golf course operators, if dangerous property or improper maintenance caused the accident
There may be other parties responsible for your injuries. The attorneys at Price Petho & Associates will investigate your accident to ensure all liable parties are held accountable.
Everyone’s injuries and everyone’s case is unique. Our attorneys work to ensure you secure the compensation that’s right for you – today and in the future. We don’t apply a one-size-fits all calculation when working on your claim. Instead, we consult with our network of experts, including your medical team, to determine the full extent of your losses and damages. In North Carolina, if you are injured in a golf cart accident you can seek damages for:
- Medical expenses, current and for the rest of your life
- Lost wages and inability to work in the future
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
In cases of egregious or intentional misconduct, our legal team will seek punitive damages. In the tragic event your loved one loses their life, we will also seek funeral and burial expenses.
Price, Petho & Associates is located at 1420 Elizabeth Ave in Charlotte, NC. We also have offices in Rockingham and Rutherfordton for your convenience. If you are unable to come to us, we can make arrangements to visit you at home or in the hospital.
Talk to our Charlotte golf cart accident lawyers today
At Price, Petho & Associates, our Charlotte golf cart injury attorneys want to help if you or a family member were injured because of someone else’s negligence. We understand that liability in these types of cases is often unclear, and we can help untangle the legal issues and paperwork while you take the time to heal from your injuries. Our legal team will investigate the details of your case, work to find out how your accident happened and why, and work to secure financial compensation for your injuries.
To talk to an experienced lawyer about your case, call 704-372-2160 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Charlotte, Rockingham, and Rutherfordton, and throughout North Carolina and South Carolina.