Rutherfordton Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Helping personal injury victims in North Carolina since 1979
Bicycles are a great way to enjoy the Rutherfordton sights. They’re good exercise. They’re inexpensive. For children, they’re a delight. Bicycles are also dangerous. Bicycle accidents often result in devastating injuries for victims. Unfortunately, bicyclists simply do not have the same level of protection that those inside motor vehicles do. Drivers of cars, trucks, and other vehicles need to be especially careful when crossing through an intersection, or where bicycle riders might be on the road.
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a bicycle accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of another driver, the Rutherfordton bicycle accident lawyers at Price, Petho & Associates are ready to help. Our attorneys will investigate every aspect of your claim and help secure the compensation you are entitled to for your injuries and other losses. In one illustrative case, our team recovered $750,000 when a bicycle rider was injured by a tractor-trailer. The victim, a father of two, suffered a traumatic brain injury and several orthopedic injuries.
How can we help?
- How often do bicycle accidents occur?
- What types of injuries do bicycle riders suffer?
- What are the common causes of Rutherfordton bicycle accidents?
- Who is liable for a bicycle accident in Rutherfordton?
- What laws govern bicycle riding in Rutherfordton?
- How much time do I have to file a bicycle accident claim?
- What is the value of my bicycle accident claim?
- Do you have a bicycle accident lawyer near me?
According to data available from the North Carolina Department of Transportation for 2020, there were 622 total bicycle crashes across the state during the latest reporting year. Out of these incidents, there were 29 fatal bicycle collisions and 593 non-fatal injuries reported.
When we look at this data, we can see that there is a high likelihood that any accident involving a vehicle and a bicycle is likely to result in an injury or fatality for the bicyclist. Most bicycle riders sustain two impacts - one with a vehicle and one with the ground.
At Price, Petho & Associates, our Rutherfordton bicycle accident attorneys help clients who have sustained the following injuries when bicycle accidents happen:
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
- Traumatic amputation
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractures – multiple, complex, compound, and simple
- Road rash
- Severe sprains or strains
- Lacerations or puncture wounds
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Dental injuries
Bicycle riders may suffer road rash if they slide across the road after a fall.
Bicycle accidents occur in a variety of ways in and around our area. At Price, Petho & Associates, we work to show your bicycle accident happened for one of the following reasons:
- Drivers were impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Drivers operated their vehicles while distracted
- Drivers followed a bicyclist too closely
- Drivers recklessly passed a bicyclist
- Drivers fail to yield the right of way to a bicyclist
- Improper backing out of parking lots or driveways
- Opening doors without looking for an oncoming bicyclist
Unfortunately, car drivers often fail to realize that bicyclists have a right to be on the roadway. In general, North Carolina law treats bicyclists in the same way they do other vehicles. All bicyclists must obey the rules of the roadway, and other drivers must afford them the same level of respect that they do any other vehicle.
A driver who is inattentive and causes a collision with a bicycle is liable for the accident. The owners of the vehicle, if different than the driver, may be liable too. If the accident is due to a defective car or bicycle part, then the manufacturer may also be liable.
The driver’s liability insurance policy is generally liable for any damages a bicycle rider suffers. The bicycle rider often uses his/her own health insurance policy to pay for medical visits – until the claim is settled, or there is a verdict.
North Carolina law does have the following requirements:
- Children under 16 must wear a helmet. Older riders should, but aren’t required to, wear a helmet.
- Bicycles should have the correct equipment including lamps.
- Car, truck, motorcycle, and bicycle drivers should all know the rules of the road – including speed limits and the right of way laws.
- Bicycle riders should understand how to use hand signals.
Bicycle riders should understand what roads they can ride on, and what roads are only for motorized vehicles. Generally, bicycle riders may be able to ride in neighborhoods and some roads with low speed limits.
A few safety precautions, according to NCDOT, for bicycle riders include:
- Ensuring that the rider is visible. Bright clothing, reflective tape, lights, and reflectors do help.
- Inspecting, repairing, and maintaining the bicycle.
- Staying off multi-lane highways, roads that don’t have shoulders, and roads that need repair.
- Riding with traffic.
- Trying to make eye contact with a driver.
Generally, you have three years to file a personal injury claim and two years to file a wrongful death claim.
Don’t wait. Delay can hurt your case. We need to speak with witnesses and examine the accident site and the vehicles as soon as possible. We need to discuss the medical care you are receiving. The sooner we meet with you, the sooner we can start your claim, prepare your case for trial, and negotiate with the insurance companies.
We work with your doctors and your employers to fully document all bills and economic losses. Our personal injury lawyers pay attention to all the small details that can lead to large awards. We also work to understand all your future medical bills and economic losses. Some bicycle accident victims live with their injuries for their lifetimes.
Our Rutherfordton bicycle accident lawyers seek damages for:
- Your medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of quality of life damages
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Household out-of-pocket expenses
If your child is injured, we negotiate structured settlements that protect your child.
We meet with clients at our Rutherfordton office located at 224 N Main St. Rutherfordton, NC. Our bicycle accident lawyers also have offices in Charlotte and Rockingham. We meet clients away from the office when necessary.
Call a Rutherfordton bicycle accident lawyer today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a bicycle accident in Rutherfordton or the surrounding areas, seek legal assistance as soon as possible. The attorneys at Price, Petho & Associates have extensive experience handling complex personal injury claims, and we understand what it takes to ensure you receive the compensation to which you are entitled. We have a strong record of successful verdicts and negotiated settlements.