Rutherfordton Fatal Car Accident Lawyers
Drivers of vehicles that travel on US Route 221, North Carolina Highway 108, or any of the roads that run through or near Rutherfordton risk accidents every day. Some accidents only result in car damage. Many accidents result in injuries. Tragically, some accidents do cause the death of a driver, passenger, pedestrian, or bicycle rider.
At Price Petho & Associates, our compassionate and experienced team is here to help if you if tragedy takes the life of a loved one. We understand the unique challenges in wrongful death cases starting with your need to mourn your loss. Our lawyers explain who can file claims, who the beneficiaries are, and how you can support your claim even though your loved one is deceased. In one case, we obtained $2 million for the family of a young man who was killed due to the negligence of the truck driver.
How can we help?
- How often do deadly car accidents happen?
- What type of car accidents can be fatal?
- Can family members file claims for a fatal car accident in Rutherfordton?
- Who are the beneficiaries of a fatal car accident claim in Rutherfordton?
- What are the unique challenges in fatal car accident cases?
- What types of compensation are available after a fatal car accident in Rutherfordton?
- Do you have a fatal car accident lawyer near me?
According to carsurance.net, there are 40,000 fatal car accidents in the US every year. That is more than 100 fatal accidents every day. The leading causes of fatal accidents are drunk driving, speeding, and negligent driving. More than 50% of all fatal car accidents involve just one vehicle. Nearly 40% of deadly accidents involve a traffic accident.
The types of accidents that are most likely to cause a fatality involve vehicles that are traveling at high rates of speed, cars that are small or aren’t crashworthy, accidents involving pedestrians, motorcycle riders, and bicycle riders, riders who don’t use seatbelts, and accidents where other drivers can’t easily get out of the way.
At Price Petho & Associates, our Rutherfordton fatal accident lawyers represent families in the following types of deadly accidents:
- Head-on crashes
- Broadside accidents
- Single-car accidents
- Multi-vehicle accidents
- Accidents at intersections
- Accidents on high-speed roads
- Deer accidents
- Rollover accidents
Some of the leading reasons drivers should be accountable for a fatal car accident in Rutherfordton include:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while tired
- Violating the traffic laws include speeding, running through stop signs or red lights, and failing to merge properly
- Driving too fast for weather conditions or traffic conditions – even when the driver is going under the speed limit
A wrongful death claim is a personal injury claim filed on behalf of the person who died in an accident. North Carolina law provides that wrongful death claims must be filed by the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate, not by family members directly. In many cases, an individual leaves behind a will or an estate plan that names a family member as the personal representative. If no personal representative is named, the court will appoint one.
The personal representative of the deceased person’s estate must file the wrongful death claim within two years from the date of death.
While we respect your need to grieve, please don’t wait too long to contact us. We need to investigate the accident site. We need to speak with witnesses, including the police and eyewitnesses when everyone’s memories are fresh. We’re ready to answer all your questions and guide you through this extremely difficult time.
In North Carolina, the wrongful death award is made part of your loved one’s estate. Many older people, parents with children, and people with significant assets prepare a last will and testament. If there is a will, then the beneficiaries are the people who are entitled to inherit through your loved one’s will.
If your loved one did not have a will, then the wrongful death award is distributed in accordance with the intestate laws of North Carolina.
Generally, the beneficiaries are the children, spouse, and parents of the deceased Rutherfordton car accident victim.
Fatal accidents differ from other types of car accidents in two distinct ways:
- The victim cannot speak for him or herself. This means we need to work with investigators and use the discovery process to show how the accident happened, and who is responsible. We examine the accident site and the damaged vehicles. We work with traffic reconstruction experts when necessary. Our lawyers work with product safety experts if needed. We regularly speak with the police and eyewitnesses.
- The defendant may be charged with a crime. In some cases, such as drunk driving cases, the defendant is charged with a DUI or other criminal case. The criminal case normally proceeds before the civil case. We coordinate your case with the criminal case.
At Price, Petho & Associates, our skilled Rutherfordton personal injury lawyers have the skills, experience, and resources to handle wrongful death cases. When the beneficiaries involve minor children, we help draft agreements that ensure the funds are placed in a trust or structured settlement arrangement – until the child reaches 18.
There are different types of compensation available to the estate of a person who loses his/her life in a car accident. A wrongful death claim in North Carolina can compensate for many losses, including the following:
- Any medical bills resulting from the injury that caused the death
- The pain and suffering experienced by the deceased before death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- The loss of a deceased person’s income
- The loss of society, companionship, guidance, comfort, and advice the deceased would have provided the family
- The loss of the deceased person’s protection, care, services, and assistance he/she would have provided the family
The total amount of compensation available in these situations varies depending on a variety of factors, such as the life expectancy of your loved one, the ages and relationships of the surviving family members, and the amount of income your loved one was earning before the accident happened.
Our Rutherfordton lawyers meet with the families of loved ones – at our office at 224 N Main St. Rutherfordton, NC. We also advise clients in Charlotte and Rockingham.
Speak to a Rutherfordton fatal car accident attorney today
If you have lost somebody that you love in a vehicle accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of another driver in the Rutherfordton area, reach out to the team at Price Petho & Associates as soon as possible. Our compassionate team of attorneys will stand by your side throughout this process so we can help you and your family navigate the complicated wrongful death lawsuit that may be necessary. We want to make sure that you receive the closure and compensation you are entitled to for what happened. When you need a Rutherfordton fatal car accident attorney, you can complete our contact form or call us at 704-372-2160 for a free consultation.